first public school was opened in the year 1889. The school
in the little house behind the Pentecostal Church. The
and there was an enrollment of nine students. School was next
in the Presbyterian Church for approximately sixteen years.
there were twenty-two students enrolled. In 1897, to be
teachers had to prove to the County Superintendent that they had taught
twelve full months.
a new school was built on the present site. It had two large
and an office. A full basement contained a coal bin, boiler
water heat, and chemical toilets for both boys and girls. Two
taught grades one through eight.
a second story was built and grades nine and ten were added.
second story consisted of two classrooms, a large assembly hall that
sliding doors so it could be divided into two rooms, (one for high
students and one for seventh and eighth grade students). A
was hired to teach grades nine and ten.
May 20, 1915, the legally qualified voters, men and women of School
No.1, Town of Minong, assembled at a Special
voted up and adopted the following Resolution, submitted by
District Board of said School District No. 1.
that a district free high school be established, organized, and
in School District No. 1, Town of Minong, Washburn County,
hereby further certified that said election was held pursuant to Law
after due notification and that the electors voted by ballot as
Males: For district free high school 31; Against district
school, 0. Females: For district free high
Against district free high school, 1. Total votes for the
high school 44; Total votes against district free high
of Minong was incorporated this same year. The Minong School
No.1 included just the Village. The first class graduated in
and was composed of the following five persons; Elias
and Dorothy Sutherland, Iva Harnden, George Sampson, and Donald
The principal was Grover C. Fillbach.
There were five teachers including the Principal at this
1918 graduating class of three included Alice
Bush, George Nordholm, and Elva Smith.
the early and mid 1920’s, basketball and baseball were the
sports, and trips were made by train. The players stayed over
in hotels or each player from the opposing team took a player home to
over night, then they came home the next day. The Minong High
had a fine girl’s basketball team then.
early years, students were transported to school with horses and
wagons in the Fall and Spring, or horses and covered sleds in the
months. Later private cars came into use.
overcrowding in the main school in the 1925-26 school year, grades six,
seven and eight; with one teacher, were moved to one room in
Minong Town Hall. It was located in the Village of
These grades returned to the main school the following year.
3 through 5 of Northwoods School in 1925 included, in back row, from
Doris Parent, Joe Stewart, Beatrice Richard, Eva Billingsley, Alice
Grace Denham, Gertie Thompson, Art Williams, Jule Richard, Roy MyKelby,
Sam Thompson and Lucille Lord. Front row (standing): Bertha
Paul Swanson, Marie Stewart, Helen Hunt, Martha Swanson, Edna Evenson,
Billy Gagnon, Donna Cox, Helen Denham, Devonna Jones. Front
Lyndon Smith, Irvin Evenson, Jim Denham, Arnold Anderson, Clinton Lord,
Howard Hurd, Pat White, Clifford Lord, Chapman, Chapman, Mike White,
Cox. Teachers: Florence Johnson, Principal: Bill Calhoun.
25, 1935, the school was destroyed by fire. For the remainder
the 1934-35 school year and until the start of the 1937-38 school year,
school was held in the Presbyterian Church, Minong Town Hall, vacant
Power House, and the old Bank Building, the three story section that is
in use today.
1937 the hot lunch program was started. In 1939 there were
teachers. Olive Smith
- Grades One and Two; Lyall Hickson
- Grades Three and Four; Marjorie Evenson
- Grades Five and Six; Harold Gramberg
- Grades Seven and Eight; Marcella Wall
- High School; E.L. Hindes
- High School. Music Department: R.J. Schofield
- Horns and Piano, and Edward Nordholm
school districts in the Town of Minong consolidated with the Minong
District No. 1. In 1949, districts in the Town of Frog Creek
at a Special Meeting, it was voted to raise the number of member on the
Board of Education from three to five by the voters of the
Special Meeting of the electors of the District on January 8, 1951, a
was called in the Minong Village Hall, as the first Annual Meeting of
electors of the newly formed Joint School District No. 1, Village of
Towns of Minong, Frog Creek, Wascott, and Gordon. The
the Board of Education were set, and members of the Board of Education
were elected. Two members were elected for a term of two and
years, two members for a term of one and a half years, and on member
a term of six months. Members to be re-elected at the Regular
Meetings in July.
were six high school teachers and nine elementary teachers at this
High School: John Fradette, Paul Williams,
Earl Jacobson, John Sample, James Hannon, Mabel Norton.
Elementary: Gust Frye, James Good, Hazel
Hill, Elizabeth Klug, Ester Brown, Myrtle Vogt, Margaret Hackbarth,
Ottone, and Pearl Defries.
was one custodian for each school: James McConnen
- Minong, Joe Gordon
- Gordon, and Ray Kinsley
- Wascott. Wascott children were transported to Minong
in the 1952-53 school year.
in 1951 were: Beatrice Vos
- Minong, Laura Hanson
- Wascott, and Mrs. Joe Gordon
the equalized valuation of the District was $3,542,600. The
with four classrooms, boiler room, and boy’s and
girl’s bathrooms, was
added in 1954.
school at Gordon was completed in 1960. It contained three
one multi-purpose room, kitchen, office and boiler room.
the school district enrollment was 332. Needing more space, a
building was built in 1968 for Industrial Arts, (Shop), three
and a furnace room.
a new cafeteria, kitchen, and three classrooms were built. At
Regular Spring Election in April, 1973, a plan of apportionment was
on by the electors of the School District, and passed, that one Board
shall be elected from each municipality in the District. At
same election, Board of Education members were elected for the first
rather than at the Annual Meeting.
kindergarten class of the School District was added during the 1972-73
4, 1975, a Referendum was placed before the electors of the District to
borrow $1,100,000 for the purpose of building and equipping a new
through sixth grade elementary school in Minong, and an addition on the
Gordon Elementary School of one classroom and a 30x35 foot addition to
the multi-purpose room. The Referendum lost by a wide margin.
Fall of 1975, a two unit portable classroom was purchased and set at
Minong School. Early in 1976 a high school principal was
more unit classrooms were purchased and were ready for the 1976-77
term. They were also placed at the Minong School. A
floor was installed in the gym in 1977, placed over the tiles concrete
the District name was changed from Minong School District, No.1, to
School District. In the Spring of 1978, a second
was hired for the elementary school.
7, 1978, a Referendum was placed before the electors of the Northwood
District. Resolved that Northwood School District borrow an
not to exceed $3,200,00 by issuing its general obligation coupon bonds
for the purpose of providing funds to erect and equip a new
High School in and for said district. The Referendum lost by
the school enrollment was 596. Northwood School District
three Administrative Staff members, thirty-seven teachers, and
forty-one students. The equalized valuation was $66,373,633.
Members Since Consolidation
Kremer, Alex DeMoss, George Younquist, Eugene
Burton Fetting, John Waggoner, Harry
Edward Cosgrove, John Wilson, Thaine
Ray Spieler, John Green, Merton Warner,
Julius Richard, Major Meller, Algen
Fye, Oscar Romberg, John Cosgrove, Lee
Garlin, David Herdt, Kathleen Edwards,