In December 1881, the first school in
Lake was established. It was little more than a small log
which was built by Dan Thomas as a trading post. The school
was a private school, with Miledge Irwin as the teacher. She
succeeded by Miss Clara Stratton and then by Miss Friberg.
later a two room schoolhouse was built on the grounds where the
Church now stands. Mary Crocker taught the primary
Clara Stratton taught the upper grades. Another school
built up on the hill in the Company's Pasture for the mill-row
Miss Elizabeth Stratton and Nellie Carol were the first to teach in
school. In 1885, a wooden frame building was built just up
from the two room school house. This site would be
school purposes for the next 100 + years! In 1890 the school
on the west side of the street was erected. Those two
accomodate about 350 students.
In the early days, contagious
rampant, especially among school children. In 1894 schools
for vaccination. E. R. Daniels opened up an evening school at
Borgh's big house; instruction was given twice a week.
The class of 1902 was the first class
graduate under the four year course in high school, although Melissa
who graduated from the three year course in 1898, came back and took
extra year's work and is claimed she received a diploma in 1900.
On September 1, 1916, the Shell Lake
School burned. It was insured for $19,755 including the
School was held in the auditorium, but once again, tragedy
On February 21, 1917, the auditorium burned.
In the fall of 1917 the new school
was not completed in time for school starting. Therefore,
use of the court house, the Methodist Church, and the Swedish Lutheran
Church was offered and accepted. The new school building was
to cost $29, 563.
In 1940, voters authorized the school
to make a loan of $2400 for a gymnasium. Later they approved
of $29, 983 and had the WPA project set up the construction, which was
estimated to cost $50,000.
In 1958, $220,000 was voted for a new
building, located on South 3rd St. in Shell Lake, this school would be
in use for the grades of K though 6. In 1995 a new school was
on Hwy. 63 south of the city of Shell Lake. This new building
the high school, middle school, and primary grades of 3 through
The school on South 3rd St. still holds classes for K through 2nd
of this history were
found in the book "The Story of Shell Lake" by A.L. Stouffer)