Compiled by Sharon Tarr, Spooner
was an important consideration
in early Spooner. According to Mattie TOZER,
the first school, with nine students, was held at the SCRIBNER
house and was taught by Suzie SCRIBNER.
1884 or 1885 a board shanty, 14' X 16'
or 20' in size, bacame the first schoolhouse. It was located
is now the south side of Elm Street in the 200 block. Prior
there were very few houses or buildings in that area.
1886 a better school was needed and the
school board which consisted of Frank JACKLE,
Sr., William BUSCH, and Andrew RYAN,
soon had plans underway. A half block was donated by the
Company for the school grounds. This was a two-room school
1892 a four-room school was built on the
site of the present Spooner Area Civic Center. This site
used for a school grounds for many years to come. In 1895 a
building was constructed for the primary school. This latter
was used for a library in later years, after having been moved to the
across the street.
teaching of high school courses began
in 1903, adding one year of study at a time. Prior to that
who wished to attend high school had to travel to Rice Lake.
Superintendent's notes in the 19 August 1904 Spooner Advocate read:
Clerk J. T. MURPHY received this week from
the state superintendent, C. P. CARY, the certificate of organzation
our high school. Professor SKEELS and
the school board will at once arrange a four year course of study to
to the state superintendent for his approval." The high
completed in 1905, was constructed on land donated by George V.
1923 better facilities for elementary
classes were proved when the Hammill School, named after Frank HAMMILL,
was built. Part of the earlier school building was
the new building, so that some of the previous structure formed the
part of the Hammill building. This school was in use until
when a new elementary school was built on County Rd. K, north of