Brook School had
a variety of names including Bramer School in 1904 and Stoneback
The school was located in Section 27 of Chicog Township and was
as School District #9. One can only speculate that the
of this school are because of the landowners surrounding this
Samuel E. Stoneback bought 120 acres of land directly east of the
on 08 Nov 1905 and Gust Bramer bought the 160 acres of land to the
of the school. The school itself was located on land that was
by the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha
the school property is owned by a private party, but the surrounding
is owned by both the Town of Chicog and the Nekoosa Paper Co.
Teachers, and the years
that they taught in this this school include:
||1924 – 1925
||James & Julia Schmitz
||1935 – 1936
||1928 – 1929
||1936 – 1938
||1929 – 1930
||1938 – 1941
||1930 – 1931
||1941 – 1942
||1931 – 1934
||1942 - 1943
At the time Edna Evenson
was teaching, she was earning $85.00 per month and taught for a full 9
months each year. According to her contract, there would be
on Saturdays, and she was expected to do the janitor work as well,
was included in her monthly salary.
In October 1939, there was
a school board discussion of ‘inlarging’ the
the remodeling of the building were sent for – to whom, it is
In this same month, it was also discussed and a contract was written
School District #9 obtain a loan from the Bank of Spooner for
No mention was made as to what this money was to be used for.
In December 1939, the school
board again met, this time to discuss sending for plans for a new
building. It was also decided that the board should send the
to the lumber companies for estimates on building costs.
On 07 Feb 1940, a meeting
was held at Hilstrom’s office in Spooner to discuss the
the W. P. A. project building the new schoolhouse. The cost
building according to the plans received from Madison was set at
including the furnace. The WPA would furnish the cement and
except chimney building and electric wiring, if there were no craftsmen
among the WPA workers. Work could not be started until after
A special district meeting
was held on 10 Feb 1940 at which time the county superintendent took
the meeting to discuss the possibilities of building a new building or
remodeling the old one. At this time, the possibility of
with districts 14, 5 and 7 was also discussed, after which the meeting
was adjourned. In July 1940 a committee was formed to work
school board to find out which school could be run the cheapest, which
school was legal, etc. The committee consisted of P. O.
chairman, and L. Bright, Joe Kordick and W. A. West. On 15
at the school district meeting a vote was cast to see whether 2 or 3
would run. Of 89 votes cast, 41 were for 2 schools, 47 were
schools. There was one ‘odd’ vote.
In a Report of School Visit
by County Superintendent of Schools, dated 22 Oct 1940 this was filed:
Edna Evenson, Teacher –
22 students total – 22 students present
– fairly good
of school building – fairly
good. Interior needs redecorating. School room too
enrollment. Addition for cook satisfactory.
needed in cloak room if possible.
of out buildings and grounds – Toilets in fairly
Grounds in rear should be cleaned up (teacher).
Equipment – Double-roller
shades (3) needed. Door handle on stove needed, as well as
pan. Educational equipment quite well supplied.
good. More stimulation needed
– Plans good.
Lower grade seatwork should be improved.
to physical conditions – Attention
given to heating and lighting. School room fairly
observation and evaluation of teacher’s work
Evenson’s work shows some improvement. Further
improvement can be
made in motivating and preparing assignments as well as general
and suggestions to
school board – With the above needs met and
school room or reduced attendance at this school, good physical
would exist in this school. It is hoped these problems can be
Irving E. Crowell, County
Superintendent of Schools
the 06 Jun 1941 school board
meeting a motion was made that the board call a special district
for Friday, 13 Jun 1941 to see about remodeling the Stunce Brook
and to authorize the board to borrow money for the same.
At the 15 Jul 1941 school
board meeting it was decided that school would run at Stunce Brook and
Twin Lakes schools – there was no mention of Beaver Dam, but
in the 27
May 1943 edition of the Spooner Advocate, page 8, Chicog News, we find
the following paragraph:
three school close on Friday. The teachers will return to
Miss Rachel Salisbury to Chittamo; Mrs. Pearl Barager to Spooner and
Madge Kildaire to Trego.”
In the 01 Jun 1944 edition
of the Spooner Advocate on page 1, this article was run:
now has 1,034 fewer rural school units than it had in 1939.
is the disclosure of the state department of public instruction as it
the results of four years of work in reorganizing the rural school
boundaries of the state.
rural school consolidation law under which State Supt. John Callahan
abolish or annex school districts upon his own motion has survived
attacks in the courts, in the legislature, and in political
Now it appears that the department’s work is nearly completed
law. It is continuing, however, to persuade town boards to
on school consolidation principles. It reports that many town
are doing so.”
It seems that the Chicog
town board complied with the decision to consolidate, as I found the
statement in the 10 Jul 1944 board meeting minutes:
made and seconded the school board see that the playground equipment
the other schools be put up at Twin Lakes School. Joe Kordich
the 4-H boys to move it and put it up – the board to furnish
So it seemed that Stunce
Brook School was no longer in session. The building and
were put on the auction block on the same day as the Beaver Dam school
building and site, 20 May 1946 at 11:00 a.m., as announced in the 02
1946 edition of the Spooner Advocate.
of information include:
Co. Platbooks for
the years 1915, 1928, 1992 and 1996
See also the Stunce Brook School Census Records (1922 - 1930) !
Records held by the Washburn
Co. Register of Deeds Office
Records held by the School
District of Spooner
of Washburn County and the Surrounding Indianhead Country,”
Articles printed in the
No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. Data
within this website may be used for personal use only by
individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this
information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission
of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website;
however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents.
Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its
free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to
assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This
website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of
copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been
granted for use.