Early Description of Spooner, It's People and
from the Spooner Advocate,
dated Friday, 27 February
Links to people and business biographical materials can be found HERE)
Spooner is located
at the cross at the great Omaha X, which shows so plainly on the
railroad maps, and it lies 69.2 miles south of Superior, 84 miles
from Ashland, 99.3 miles northeast of St. Paul and 82 miles
northwest of Eau Claire, and is 403.7 miles from
This promising town,
which is very near the geographical center of Washburn county and
was named after the Hon. John C. Spooner, came into existence with
the building of the railroad which now forms the important Omaha
system in northwestern Wisconsin. it was founded primarily as
a railroad town and for a number of years developed along this
line. It contains a busy population and is a point of transfer
of business from one branch of road to the other. As an
eating-house point it has been well advertised and is well known to
the traveling public, but more recently the village of SPOONER,
having been incorporated the past spring, has changed from a
strictly railroad town to a prosperous farming community. The
railroad interests are still very large and active, which is shown
by the fact of the great improvements made by the company, they
having spent at least $50,000 in new passenger and freight depots
the past season, besides the large amount of improvements made along
the line tributary to Spooner, and while the railroad interests are
still the basis of our prosperous town there is also an important
new influence at work in the building up of this town, which is now
almost on the northern frontier of agricultural Wisconsin, the
farming interests in the immediate vicinity of the village and
thereabouts for many miles.
Persons in search of homes
frequently make the mistake of passing the fertile lands of
Wisconsin and going further west. To such persons we will
say: Why not first look at the BEST which is not quite so far
distant and settle in this great potato belt, which contains some of
the very richest agricultural lands in the United States, where crop
failures are unknown, where irrigation is not needed, having a
climate unsurpassed, a steadily growing market, where land is still
in reach of those of limited means, with educational facilities
equal to any in the northwest.
SPOONER, in Washburn county,
is the metropolis and natural center of this great district and its
people invite you to visit them. You will never regret having
made your home with us. Here you will find not only the best of
farming lands, but here you will enjoy the best fuel on earth.
Coal strikes have no effect on us, as we have an abundance of the
best hard and soft wood on earth.
SPOONER, without doubt, is
preeminently the best business point on the great Omaha system
between the twin cities and the Lake Superior region. SPOONER,
the center of Washburn county, is surrounded by a rich loam soil a
with a clay subsoil. Our principal products are oats,
potatoes, corn, flax, barley, hay, fruit, vegetables and ALL root
crops do well. The district has never had ONE CROP
FAILURE. Wheat yields an average of 15 to 30 bushels per
acre. Oats yield as high as 60 and weigh 36 pounds to the
bushel. The present price is 40 cents a bushel. Barley
yields about 40 bushels to the care and is of a fine quality.
Some of the progressive farmers in the SPOONER DISTRICT have tried
flax, and find that it is a great cash producer and yields from 10
to 20 bushels to the acre. Rye does well and finds a ready
market. Buckwheat has been tried sufficiently to establish it
as a standard crop. Spelts, the new rival of the feed cereals,
has been grown in the DISTRICT experimentally and has shown a
There is an ever-ready market for hay, the
price ranging from $8 to $10 a ton. Last season when the hay
crop was short in other locations there was a good acreage here and
the farmers received as high as $12.50 per ton for their
VEGETABLES - In this class you cannot find a single one
which will not equal any eastern record in quantity and
STOCK - Fine blooded cattle, hogs and sheep can be
found on every thrifty farmer's place. We have no diseases to
bother them and all thrive finely.
POULTRY - Chickens, ducks,
geese and turkeys find a ready market at high
DAIRYING - The SPOONER DISTRICT farmers have for a
number of years past supplied the butter and milk for the local
markets as well as a considerable amount for shipping. The wonderful
fertility of the soil and its great producing power make this
district especially desirable for creameries and dairying.
This is surely the ideal home for the cow and red clover. No
thoughtful person has ever lost faith in the possibilities of the
soil to produce abundant crops of tame grasses and
clovers. When once seeded the clovers and grasses yield
magnificent crops for many years. The climate during the
haying season is ideal for making hay. While occasional
showers may occur, they are seldom so hard as to injure the
crop. The hay comes in bright and green, thus increasing its
feeding and market value. We have good water and plenty of
it. Country schools are very numerous. Cyclones and
heavy damaging storms are unknown. SPOONER, the center of the
farming district and the center of Washburn county, is a town of
churches, lodges and good schools. All denominations are
represented, Methodist, Episcopal, Catholic, Lutheran and
others. Among our prominent lodges are the Masons, Odd
Fellows, Modern Woodmen, Brotherhood of Trainmen, Knights of
Pythias, Women's Relief Corps, Royal Neighbors, etc., etc.
SPOONER is a town of beautiful residences, straight, well laid out
streets, fine stores and good hotels. The town supports two
first-class banks. Below we give a brief history of some of
its many prominent people.
(See the alphabetized biographical
to easily view those names included here or browse through the
remainder of this page. Names are listed here in the order that they
MAYOR BUSCH OF SPOONER
better known to all as "Bill" is one of the old landmarks of
Spooner. Mr. Busch came to Washburn county and settled at
Chandler in 1881, when that place was the end of the railroad, and
worked on the section. When Spooner was located and a station
opened up he came here and was baggageman for about a year and a
half. He then went to work for the American Express company as
agent and held that position for fifteen years, which he resigned
about three years ago; going into the lumber and sawmill business,
which he sold out the past summer, turning his attention to this
farming interests and to the fine meat market that he owns and
manages successfully. Mr. Busch has one of the finest farms
there is in Washburn county, besides other large land holdings, and
also one of the finest buildings in Spooner, which is used by all of
the secret societies on the second floor, and the first floor is
used by John Graham, as a saloon; Mr. Larson, in manufacturing soda
water and soft drinks, and the third room is used by Dr. J. P. Cox
as a wholesale drug and manufacturing establishment. The lodge
rooms on the second floor are something that Spooner people can well
be proud of and are much indebted to Mr. Busch, as there is nothing
like it on the line between St. Paul and Duluth. Mr. Busch has
been justice of the peace, town treasurer, chairman of the town
board, member of the county board and now holds the position of
president of the village board, and Spooner people will all join in
saying that he has been one of a few who has always been working for
the interests of Spooner. Mr. Busch is held in high esteem by
GEO. W. HARMON
The pioneer northern Wisconsin
land and real estate agent. Everybody whose business taken
them to Spooner will meet with Geo. W. Harmon, the Pioneer Land and
Real Estate Agent. A resident of northern Wisconsin for the
past thirty years, the last sixteen of which have been spent in
Spooner, he has a thorough knowledge of the soil and climatic
conditions as well as the general lay of this rapidly developing
section of north Wisconsin. Mr. Harmon has devoted most of his
time to surveying and examining lands and estimating timber.
For five years he was in the employ of the government as United
States deputy surveyor and scaler, which in itself gives him a great
knowledge of the lands in northern Wisconsin. For the past six
years he has been one of the local representatives of the land
department of the Omaha railroad. By reason of his long
experience and close attention to the details of his business he has
established himself firmly in the confidence of his business
associates who will vouch for his absolute accuracy and
integrity. He is a stockholder and local agent of the Starks
Levis Land company of Madison, Wis., whose large land holdings he
handles in the market, and is himself the owner of some of the
choicest pieces of land in northern Wisconsin. He is also a
stockholder and director in the Spooner State bank. Mr. Harmon
is always on the lookout for anything for the good and welfare of
Spooner and the surrounding country and is very liberal in public
matters, and anyone going to him for donations, if it is for a good
cause, will always find him willing to contribute, and it can be
said without fear of contradiction that he has done more in the way
of advancing the interests of Washington county and bringing in
actual settlers who are living on and improving their lands and are
well satisfied with their purchase than any other real estate man in
the county. Any one having occasion to deal with Mr. Harmon
will find him prompt, courteous and thoroughly efficient in all that
pertains to his business. Letters addressed to him will
receive attention at once and any special information desired will
be given cheerfully. Be sure you call on him when visiting
Spooner. He will be pleased to meet and talk with you, whether
you do business with him or not.
DR. J. P. COX
Cox, the division surgeon for the C., St. P., M. & O. R. R. Co.,
is one of the oldest and best known surgeons in northern Wisconsin,
having practiced is profession in Wisconsin for the past twenty
years. The doctor contemplates retiring from the active
practice of his profession and will devote his time to the editorial
department of the Aseptic Medical Journal - a magazine published
monthly in the interests of the medical fraternity.
E. P. Baker, who is one of Spooner's most prosperous
farmers, has only been here for the past three years, but he has
accomplished wonders. He resides in the village, but has a
large stock farm of some 2,500 acres, which is ten miles east of
Spooner. Although having been here only three years, he has
the following improvements on the farm: Some 500 acres
under cultivation and is clearing at the rate of 200 to 300 acre
each year. There is a fine frame house, 34 by 35 feet in
dimension, in which 15 men in charge of a superintendent find ample
quarters; two large windmills that pump water, and one of them is a
large-geared mill which grinds all manner of grains for
fodder. The other buildings consist of the following:
Three barns, one 35 by 50, 16 feet high; one 40 by 50, 16 feet high,
and one 50 by 100, 18 feet high, with a stone basement under full
size; granary 32 by 70 in which is the feed mill with two runs of
burrs; hog house, 20 by 80, 8 feet high; chicken house 18 by 60, 8
feet high, and a rustic clubhouse, 18 by 24; also a water tank of
200 barrels from which there is a complete system of waterworks
running to all of the buildings. In the way of stock on the
farm there is the following: 20 head of blooded Percherons, mostly
all mares; 5 head of fine blooded driving horses, 35 cows and 45
head of young stock. The most of the cattle are of grade
Shorthorn and at the present time there are 100 hogs on the
Mr. Baker has had 15 men at work the past season and
will continue to employ about 10 the following years, and aims to
clear and put under cultivation about 100 acres of land each year
hereafter. Crops have been good this year and the coming
season will see 350 acres in corn and other grain. There is
one entire section fenced and used for pasture, the grasses thereon
being timothy, clover and other succulent forage plants, and all of
this great farm is well watered by numerous small lakes and
streams. The soils is a clay mixture that produces quick
growth and seldom suffers from the lack of moisture. Mr.
Baker, it may be said, is a member of the Duluth Board of Trade and
the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce, and selected this large body of
land in preference to any other lands in the northwest as the scene
of his live stock operations.
Mr. Baker has just completed a
fine residence in the village, with all modern conveniences. As
practical information of this kind is what all intending buyers and
settlers most desire, by addressing Mr. Baker, enclosing a stamp, he
will be pleased to give you any information asked for.
Is another one of our successful merchants, who began
business in the spring of 1897 and opened up a small grocery store,
since which time he has added to his stock until he has one of the
best small stocks in the village. He now carries a line of dry
goods, boots and shoes, groceries, flour and feed and gents'
furnishing goods. Mr. Murphy rented the building he occupied
for a store until last season, when he erected a fine store
building, 30 by 70 feet, 14 foot high, and now has plenty of room to
attend to his growing business. Mr. Murphy also has
considerable village property and has been a resident of Spooner
ever since 1896. Before going into the mercantile business Mr.
Murphy was in the employ of the railroad company as conductor
and was a very successful railroad man. he is the present
village treasurer and held the same office in the town of Spooner
before the village was incorporated. He is also clerk of the
school board and is always on the lookout for anything which will
advance the interests of Spooner or her people.
The proprietor of the Big C. O. D. Bee Hive
department store, came to Spooner in the summer of 1893 and,
associated with Mr. P. P. Stoltzman, opened up under the firm name
of Stoltsman & Signer, Mr. Signer having the management, and
under his supervision the business was a success from the
beginning. In 1895 Mr. Siegner purchased the interest of Mr.
Stoltzman and since that time has enlarged his business until he has
one of the largest stores between St. Paul and West Superior.
The past summer he has erected to his large store building two
additions of 25 by 70, 16 feet high, and now has a floor space of 70
by 75 feet, besides a large warehouse 26 by 80, which has just been
completed. Mr. Siegner also has a fine piece of land adjoining
town which he has under fine cultivation and other property in the
village, besides other large holdings both in Washburn and Burnett
counties. Mr. Siegner is a man of public spirit and is first
to put his name down for a liberal sum at all times for anything for
the advancement of Spooner's interests. In church matters as
well as aid of the poor Mr. Siegner can always be relied upon for
Is our genial express agent
and looks after the company's interests to their entire
satisfaction. Mr. Washburn came to Spooner some eight years
ago and worked for Wm. Busch for a number of years and when Mr.
Busch retired from the service of the express company Mr. Washburn
was given the position, which has he since held "Bye," as he is
known to all of his associates, has made himself a comfortable home
since coming to Spooner and is one of our substantial
Charley, as he is called
by all, has been a resident of Spooner for the past twelve years and
has been in the employ of the railroad company all of the time as
engineer at the pumping station. Mr. Cederburg is a mechanic
of no small caliber and has the confidence of the people he works
for. You will not see a neater engine-room anywhere along the
line than the one which he has charge of at Spooner.
Everything is in first-class order and always in its
JAMES S. KING
Or "Uncle Jimmie," as his many
friends are privileged to call him, is one of the pioneers of
Washburn county, coming to this country in an early day when all of
northern Wisconsin was almost an unbroken wilderness. He
identified himself with the development of the county in whatever
capacity circumstances placed him. Much of his life has been
spent in one branch or another of railroading, from a common laborer
to an extensive contractor, and whatever he was found to do he has
done well. He is an Irishman by birth, a Scotchman by
education and a gentleman by nature, and his industry and
perseverance, coupled with strict integrity, has been rewarded by
seeing himself and family placed in easy circumstances. The
voters of the village have honored themselves by electing him a
member of the village council, a place he is eminently qualified to
Since the above was in type Mr. King has crossed over
the dividing waters and is numbered with the immortal
W. H. CLEARY
Mr. Cleary is our popular
station agent who looks after the interests of the railroad company
in a satisfactory way both to his employers and the public.
Mr. Cleary has been with us for about two and a half years and since
he has been here he has gained the respect of all.
Mr. Schultz is one of the popular conductors on the
railroad and while Mr. Schultz is not very largely interested in
property in the village he has considerable holding of lands outside
and is always directing people looking for a location to come to
Spooner and they will find what they are looking for.
Is one of the division roadmasters and his route is
between Eau Claire and Duluth. Mr. Hillman has been with us
for the past fourteen years and first went to work for the railroad
company as section foreman and by his strict attention to the
interests of the company he has rapidly advanced to the position he
now holds. Mr. Hillman owns one of the finest farms in
Washburn county, which is only one and a half miles southeast of
Spooner. This farm is run under the direct supervision of Mr.
Hillman himself, although he does not have much time to look after
it owing to having to devote most all of his time to railroad
matters. The farm is well taken care of and is on a paying
JOHN T. SINES
John T. is another one of
our hustling citizens, having come to Spooner some ten years ago,
and has worked at all kinds of work, mostly teaming. Mr. Sines
is the owner of a very fine residence and considerable unimproved
farming land throughout the county. He devotes most of the
time and has for the past two years to draying and teaming about
town. He is a hardworking, industrious, energetic man and one
who can be depended on at all times.
Mr. Jones is one of the leading attorneys of Washburn
county, formerly of Canton, S. D., where he practiced law for seven
years. He opened his office in Spooner, Dec. 18, 1901, and
engaged in the active practice of law, and by associating himself
with F. L. Irwin, under the firm name of Jones & Irwin, they
carry on a general law, collection and insurance as well as a real
estate business. In the real estate branch these two gentlemen
have energetically assisted in establishing a record-breaking year
for Spooner and vicinity and securing for themselves a prosperous
and profitable business.
CHRIS C. NELSON
Mr. Nelson is
an embodiment of what can be accomplished by push and perseverance
and strict integrity. He came to Washburn county sixteen years
ago and settled on a homestead in the town of Bashaw, four miles
from Spooner, where he resided for five years, devoting a portion of
his time to clearing and cultivating his farm, but the greater part
of the time was employed in the service of the Shell Lake
Lumber company, where he worked as a laborer in the mill and lumber
camps. In the spring of 189_ (smudged copy - could be 1891),
he embarked in the butcher business in Spooner with a very limited
capital. By economy and strict attention to his business he
increased his stock in trade until his own building was too small
and he was forced to rent a larger building. He then increased
his capabilities by putting in a stock of groceries, flour, feed and
hay, and still later by adding dry goods and clothing, hardware and
shoes. Early in 1901, in partnership with Louis Larson, he
opened the first bank in Spooner. A year later he purchased
the interest of Mr. Larson in the banking business, which he still
owns and controls.
In the ____________ of 1901 (?), he built
the fine brick building which bears his name and stands as a
monument to his prosperity. In the fall of 1902 he found his
business had grown to such proportions that he had to have
assistance in its management and he associated with him John P.
Schneider and A. C. Johnson, under the firm name of the Spooner
Lumber & Mercantile company, and with their combined capital
they are bound to keep in the front rank of progress and prosperity.
Mr. Nelson has held many offices of trust, being for six years
the treasurer of the town of Spooner and one year the town chairman
and member of the county board.
D. J. CAMERON
Cameron is the present village marshal, which position he has held
for several years. Mr. Cameron came to Spooner about eighteen
years ago and has lived here ever since. he is a sober,
industrious citizen and looks after the welfare of Spooner in a very
Who has been has resident
of Spooner for over sixteen years and was elected to the office of
sheriff at the last election, which is his second term in that
office, having filled the position four years ago, which in itself
shows the standing of Mr. Tozer as a citizen in the
HENRY M. HANSCOM
Among pioneers of northern
Wisconsin no man is more prominent than Henry H. [sic] Hanscom.
A native of the state of Maine he brought with him a goodly
share of the sterling integrity, sound morality and Christian piety
with which the descendants of New England puritanism are so well
equipped. he came to northern Wisconsin in the early fifties
and for many years engaged in lumbering on the St. Croix and its
tributaries. A portion of the time he was engaged in
mercantile pursuits and dealt in lumbermen's supplies in connection
with his logging operations. Since coming to Spooner, some
four years ago, Mr. Hanscom has always been identified with every
movement for the progress and upbuilding of the place. He is
not one who will put his hand to the plow and then turn back, but is
always in the front rank of progress. He is the bulwork of the
Baptist church here, of which society he has been for many years a
member. He was elected our first police justice of the
village, a position he fills to the entire satisfaction of all.
Mr. Hanscom has seen northern Wisconsin row from a wilderness
where few white men would be seen to the present fast-developing
community of pleasant and happy homes.
Mr. Walsingham is our popular drayman and one who
is always prompt in executing your orders entrusted to him and
reasonable in his charges. Mr. Welsingham came to Spooner
about four years ago and purchased himself a fine home and has
devoted most of this time in team work of all kinds, having just
recently bought out the dray line of Lewis Baker and new runs the
same in a first-class manner. Mr. Walsingham is an energetic,
progressive citizen and one who can always be relied upon being on
the right side of any public question.
Mr. Hammill's residence in Spooner dates back twenty
years - to January 1883 - and he has the distinction of being the
second railroad man to take up residence in the village and has been
in the employ of the railroad company, with headquarters here
continuously ever since in the capacity of locomotive engineer.
He is now pulling a passenger train round trip from Spooner to
Minneapolis, which is one of the most responsible runs on this
division. Mr. Hammill has invested a good deal of his earnings
in land in Bayfield county and has established a fine fruit farm
there near the village of Cable, and has demonstrated the
adaptability of northern Wisconsin to the growing of small fruits.
On this farm he has quite an acreage in different kinds of
berries and has handled them so successfully that he has harvested
large profits from them. He also sells large quantities of the
different kinds of berry plants and is authority upon all matters of
berry culture. Mr. Hammill has just completed a very fine home
in this thriving village and is one of the solid men of the
WALTER C. CROCKER
Is one of the very earliest
settlers in Washburn county, having come to Shell Lake in 1881 more
than twenty-one years ago. His residence in the village dates
from 1891. Mr. Crocker is a graduate of Valparaiso, Ind.
normal school and since his graduation has spent several years
teaching. His school labors included work in the states of
_____, Indiana, and since coming to this county he has taught in
Shell Lake and was for four years at the head of our village
schools. He serves the town of Spooner as town clerk for ten
years and is now serving his fourth term in the capacity of county
superintendent of schools of Washburn county. Mr. Crocker owns
one of the finest homes in the village and has a fine farm in the
town of Spooner some eight miles east of town and considerable real
estate in different parts of the county.
JOHN H. D.
Or "Jack" Austin, as we all call him, is another
familiar spirit without a mention of whom our record of the town
would be incomplete. Mr. Austin is a native of New York state,
but came west to Chicago over fifty years ago when that city was a
frontier town. In 1881, at the age of 21 years, he enlisted in
Company K of the Ninteenth [sic] Illinois volunteers and served three
years in the Army of the Cumberland under General Rosencranz.
While in the service he enjoyed the confidence of his superior
officers to the extent that he was repeatedly commissioned to detail
a squad or some important duty. He has many interesting
reminiscences to relate of his army experiences. Mr. Austin
came to Spooner fifteen years ago and is a good, reliable citizen
and owns his own home.
JAKE LANKERMAN AND GEORGE
Are the owners of one of the neatest and
best-conducted meat markets in Washburn county and are enjoying a
good trade. They have been residents of Washburn county for
several years and are honorable and upright citizens. Mr.
Lankermann was formerly engaged in stock buying at Racine and
Janesville. Mr. Hillman was for several years in the employ of
the railroad company as a locomotive engineer.
Spooner being a railroad center, a historical sketch
of the place _____ of necessity deal largely with railroad employes,
among whom Charles H. Dexter stands second to none in point of long
and continuous service on the Omaha system. Mr. Dexter, or
"Charlie," commenced work for this company in 1879 as wiper, but did
not long remain in a minor position, and has been running a
locomotive for twenty years. he took up his residence in
Spooner in 1893 and in 1894 built the finde home where he now
resides. He has recently purchased the mercantile business of
Henry Hoeppner and has already shown an aptitude for mercantile
MISS ANAH CROCKER
Miss Crocker is our
popular post-mistress, which position she has held the past three
years. Spooner people can well be proud of our postoffice as
under Miss Crocker's management, we have one of the finest officer
and office fixtures of any town five time sour size along the line
of the Omaha system. Miss Crocker handles the office in a
creditable way, the mail at this point bieng very heavy, we having
eight mail trains daily.
THE SPOONER STATE BANK
This is one of the solid institutions of Washburn county and of which
the citizens of Spooner are justly proud. It is now entirely a
home institution, owned and controlled by local capital. The
building was erected in May 1901 and is owned by Geo. W. Harmon.
The bank was opened for business June 15, 1901, mostly by outside
capital, but its business has been so judiciously managed that more
local capital has been invested until by the process of evolution it is
now entirely "home grown." The cashier, E. M. Elliott, is one of
those fellows with whom it is a pleasure to deal and who commands the
admiration of all with whom he has business relations and if he is
obliged to say "No" he does it in such a way that you almost feel that
he had said "Yes." The assistant cashier, Carl E. Harmon, needs
no introduction to residents of Washburn county, having grown from
extreme youth to manhood in our midst, and is known to all as a young
man of good morals and with exceptional integrity.
JESSE D. THOMAS
Is a hustling hotel man of Spooner, a natural-born landlord and is so
admirably adapted to that profession that no mention of his
qualifications is necessary. He came to Spooner a little over
three years ago from Chippewa Falls and assumed the management of the
railroad eating-house, in which position he still continues, to the
great satisfaction of the railroad employes [sic] and the traveling
public. When the cafe in the new depot was opened he was given
charge of that also and runs it in connection with the hotel in the
same gratifying manner. Since becoming a citizen of Spooner Mr.
Thomas has invested considerably in real estate and is a large
stockholder in the Spooner State bank, of which institution he is
president, and is also member of the village council.
HERMAN J. MEYERS
Among the business men of Spooner none outrank H. J. Meyers, our
merchant tailor. Thorough-going in all that constitutes business
principles, he has been in business here nearly eight years and has
never been known to deviate from the strictest integrity, is always on
the side of morality and justice. He is one of the finest workmen
in his chosen art and carries a full line of clothing and furnishings
that in quality and price defies competition. He owns and
occupies one of the choicest business sites in the village.
F. H. SPENCER
Washburn county is supplied although not overstocked, with good
lawyers. One of these is F. H. Spencer, a young man well versed
in law and is considered one of the rising luminaries at the legal
profession. He is a graduate of the law university at Madison and
had spent several years in the schoolroom in the role of pedagogue.
He has practiced law here about four years, as demonstrated his
aptness for his chosen profession and business intrusted [sic] to him
is well taken care of. He owns his home, which is one of the best
here, and so has become a permanent fixture to Spooner. he was
elected first village clerk of Spooner without any opposition, an
office that he fills with honor to himself and a credit to the
J. W. WILSON
Is among the hustling denizens of our commonwealth. Like many
others, he commenced at the foot of the ladder in railroad employment
and has gradually worked his way up until he is now one of the most
trusted and trusty engineers on this division of the Omaha system.
With his surplus earnings he has invested in property in
different parts of the county and has built himself one of the finest
homes in the village. He has been for many years a resident here
and has always been identified with every movement for the improvement
of the place. Mr. Wilson was acknowledged to be one of our first
citizens by being elected a member of the first village council.
EDWARD L. GANSKE
Mr. Ganske has been a resident of Spooner nearly ten years, having come
here in 1893. His business is merchant tailoring, in which
capacity he is a past master. By diligence and industry, coupled
with a thorough knowledge of his art, he has forged to the front until
he owns one of the neatest stores in the town, filled to the ceiling
with a well-selected stock of ready-made clothing and furnishings and
at prices that defy competition. To wear one of Ganske's suits is
to be dressed in the heighth of fashion, and you're always sure that
your coat fits perfectly.
OUR POPULAR JEWELER
Charles F. Richart is another one of our progressive business men and
one that any community may well be proud of. Coming here in 1896,
with only a limited capital, financially but with unlimited resources
in industry and genius and thoroughly skilled in his profession as
jeweler and engraver, he to-day stands in the front rank of this
progressive town. He also carries a good line of undertaker's
goods and is prepared on short notice to assist in the last and rites
of mortality. His promptness, industry and diligence are so well
known that to be "as busy as Red Richart" has passed into a proverb.
MARTIN E. CUDDY
Among those who have distinguished themselves by a long and continuous
service as railroad employee is Martin E. Cuddy, whose service in that
line covers nearly thirty years. The most of this time he has
been in the employ of the Omaha, having worked for the Great Northern
for only a short time. He built himself a fine home in Spooner in
1893 and is one of the most faithful and trusted of the railroad
employes [sic] in the capacity of locomotive engineer. Mr. Cuddy
is now on one of the most responsible passenger runs between Spooner
DURMAN E. RICHARDSON
While writing of the business men of Spooner we must not overlook that
venerable merchant and tradesman, D. E. Richardson, who has devoted
more than forty years of his life as a retail clerk and retail
merchant. He is a native of New York state, but came west in the
fifties and has conducted business for himself or others in a number of
north Wisconsin towns. He is probably as good a judge of all
kinds of mercandise [sic] as any man in northern Wisconsin. Mr.
Richardson conducted a store in Spooner for ten years, from 1891 to
1901, but has retired to rural life on his little farm just outside of
the village limits and devotes his time to raising different kinds of
GEORGE E. STRATTON
George is known as one of the early settlers having lived in and near
Spooner for upwards of fifteen years. He was at one time in the
employ of the railway company, but quit the road a number of years ago
and took up other pursuits less hazardous and, perhaps, less
remunerative. He is one who never remains long idle and so was
followed different kinds of employment until he now owns one of the
finest corners in the village, upon which he has erected a fine hotel
building, which he occupies himself. He is considered one of the
progressive, public-spirited men of Spooner and was honored by an
election to membership in the village council.
F. L. IRWIN
Mr. Irwin came to Spooner in October, 1901, from Columbus, Ohio, and at
once saw the many advantages that Spooner offered to any one wishing
to get along in the world, so decided to locate with us.
Mr. Irwin at once took a great interest in the agricultural
possibilities of Washburn county and, together with L. J. Jones, he
opened up a real estate business in connection with law and
collections, and they have been very successful in their efforts and in
settling up Washburn county. You will always find Fred ready to
show up the advantages of Washburn county.
MRS. SOPHIA LIGHTHIZER
Spooner is well supplied with restaurants and hotels, among the latter
the Hoeppner House is well kept by Mrs. Sophia Lighthizer. She is
well versed in all branches of the hotel business, having served an
apprenticeship in the railroad eating-house in every capacity required
in such a place. Mrs. Lighthizer has been a resident of Spooner
for seventeen years and has grown from girlhood to womanhood, and all
old acquaintances deem it unnecessary to address her by any other title
than just "Sophia".
Is a model, up-to-date drug store. The proprietors, Dr. Geo. N.
Lemmer and R. W. Pelunek, are both young men of push and energy that
every growing town is in want of. They began business in April,
1902, since which time they have added to their stock until they have a
full line of the finest drugs and all the necessary sundries generally
carried in a first-class drug store. They are doing a thriving
business and the doctor, who is one of the best in the county, has a
very large practice. When there is anything comes up for the good
and welfare of Spooner you can always depend on finding these gentlemen
on the right side.
OSCAR A. CROCKER
Mr. Crocker is one of the old-time settlers, his parents coming to
Washburn county in 1882 and locating at Shell Lake, coming to Spooner
in 1893 and opening up a drug store. Oscar was the prescription
druggist until the death of his father, when the store was sold and Mr.
Crocker thought he would try his fortune in the far west and located in
Idaho, where he stayed about one year, then he returned to Spooner,
satisfied that this was the best place to live and make himself a home.
Oscar is a steady, reliable man and is well up in his profession as a
druggist, always at his post of duty, working night and day for the
best interests of the Spooner Drug company, by whom he is employed.
THE SPOONER DRUG COMPANY
This firm started business in Spooner on the 23rd day of September,
1902. They are the leading drug firm, having a full line of drugs
and druggist's sundries. The proprietors, Dr. A. E. Costello and
L. J. Bedford, are both enterprising and progressive young men who have
confidence in Spooner's future development. They have one of the
finest drug stores in northern Wisconsin, located on Walnut street
between Front and River, situated in a fine brick building fitted up
with all up-to-date fixtures. Here you get what the doctor orders
and at reasonable prices, and will find fine waiting-rooms where you
can rest while waiting for the doctor or the cars.
ED A. COX
Is our popular wholesale drug manufacturer, who, in company with Dr. J.
P. Cox, opened up this establishment in October, 1902. Ed, as he
is known by every one, is a druggist of sixteen years' experience,
having owned and run one of the finest drug stores in the city of
Milwaukee some fourteen years. Coming to Spooner in March, 1901,
and wishing to get some outdoor work, he devoted considerable of his
time while here to the real estate business in connection with the
manufacturing of drugs and any one having occasion to deal with him
will find him always ready to give any information and such information
that can be relied upon.
THE BURK BROTHERS, REAL ESTATE DEALERS
Henry J. and Millard F. Burk are the hustling real estate agents of
Spooner, also one of the local representatives of the land department
of the railroad company. Henry is a practical surveyor and
estimator and has been in the real estate busness about three years and
has established himself in the front ranks. Millard is an old
resident, coming her [sic] some fourteen years ago, and one of our
first contractors and builders, leaving her [sic] some five years go
owing to this business being overdone and returning to Spooner about
two years ago, when he formed the present partnership with his brother,
since which time they have done a very successful business.
Mr. Jarvis is the proprietor of ed's Barber Shop, the leading tonsorial
rooms in Spooner. Mr. Jarvis has been with us for the past six or
seven years and if you want a good shave and a first-class hair cut
call on Ed and you will be sure to get it.
Mr. Edwards is the proprietor of Spooner's only exclusive flour and
feed store. Mr. Edwards opened up the present business the past
summer and has done a very good and successful business. He
handles the best line of goods that can be had and you will find his
prices just right. His place of business is on Walnut street,
between River and Summit. Give him a call.
R. W. KELTING
Is our leading hardware and furniture dealer, handling a full and
complete line of hardware, farm machinery and furniture. Mr.
Kelting came to Washburn county some three years ago and purchased a
large tract of land and opened up a fine farm, which he sold the past
year and moved to Spooner and opened up the business that he so
successfully runs. Mr. Kelting is a progressive man and is always
on the lookout for anything advancing the interests of Spooner and her
Came to Spooner some three years ago and has conducted a blacksmith and
repair shop up to about a month ago, when he sold out his interest in
the shop and went into the livery stable business, where he will be
found always ready to wait upon the public. Whenever in want of
good livery service be sure that you give him a call.
SPOONER HAS A BAND
The Spooner Cornet band was organized the first day of September and is
at this time about five months old ad, to say that the boys have not
made great progress in the musical line would be put down by the people
of the village at once. There was not one of them who could play
a note on his instrument and knew what note he was playing when Mr.
Chauncey Mills, the popular instructor, took hold of them. Within
seven weeks from the time they began they were out on the streets and
playing good music and at this time they are playing high-grade,
standard music. Spooner can well be proud of their band and under
the management of Dr. Geo. N. Lemmer, Geo. W. Harmon and William
Sinclair and direction of Mr. Mills, who is one of the ablest directors
in the country, Spooner will have, in a short time, one of the finest
bands in northern Wisconsin.
THE SPOONER REGISTER
The Register is one of the oldest papers published in the county, it
being now in its tenth year, and was firs started by Burt Peas, who ran
it successfully for over a year, then sold out his interest to Andrew
Ryan, who is now the owner of it. Although Mr. Ryan lives at
Shell Lake, he has the interests of Spooner well at heart, having been
an early resident of Spooner, but his business compelled him to go to
Shell Lake, where he runs the Washburn County Register. The
Spooner paper is edited by C. W. Haskins and is well done. He
always is first to gather any interesting news, if there is any to be
THE SPOONER ADVOCATE
The Advocate was established eighteen months ago by Ida May Goss and
within eight months was declared the official paper of Washburn county.
At a meeting of the county board, held las moth, the
Advocate was again made the official paper, a most satisfactory
compliment to so young a paper. It is a six-column, eight-page
paper, enjoying a good patronage, and is well equipped with machinery
for doing miscellaneous printing. Mrs. Goss, the editor and
proprietor, is an energetic business woman and through her efforts the
Advocate has won a distinctive place among the prominent and
progressive business fixtures of Spooner.
BEAM & HUDSON
The proprietors of the Spooner Land company, whose office is located on
Walnut street next to the postoffice, are both gentlemen of good
standing in the community. Mr. Beam is an old resident and has
spent most of his time in farming and whose fine farm is located about
six miles northwest of Spooner, where you will find all kinds of the
choicest fruits grown that can be raised in this part of the state.
Mr. Hudson has not been with us more than about three years, but
while he has been with us only a short time he has gained the
confidence of all. He is also a farmer of good standing and is
well qualified to give reliable information to any one wishing it as
the qualities of our soil, climate and the growing crops. You may
depend on receiving fair treatment in any business transactions that
you may have with these gentlemen.
Spooner has a first-class harness shop and E. Weldon is the proprietor.
Ed is up-to-date in the horse millinery line and his place of
business on Walnut street, between River and Summit, is a model that
nay town or city of 5,000 inhabitants could well be proud of.
When in want of anything in Mr. Weldon's line be sure that you
call on him, for you cannot do better even if you go to St. Paul or any
other large city. You will always find Ed on hand to serve you
faithfully and fairly and when once you do business with him you are
sure to call on him again.
C. W. HASKINS
Is another one of our successful farmers who resides in the village.
Mr. Haskins came to northern Wisconsin from Vermont and located
at Hudson, Wis., some thirty-seven years ago, coming to Spooner in
1893, since which time he has opened up a fine farm one mile east of
the village and been successful in the growing of strawberries and
other small fruits as well as farm produce of all kinds. Mr.
Haskins has held several public offices and also been a member of the
school board when the same was in the township system. Any one
wishing reliable information regarding the farming possibilities of
northern Wisconsin will do well to correspond with him enclosing stamp
Who is known to all the people of Spooner and vicinity as "Uncle
George," is one of the oldest residents of northern Wisconsin, coming
to and settling at Durand, Wis., with his parents in 1857, since which
time he has almost constantly been a resident of northern Wisconsin,
excepting for a short time about fifteen years ago when he sold a fine
farm which he owned near Eau Claire and went west looking for a better
location and after spending about two years in fruitless search
returned to Wisconsin and located on the farm where he now lives and
says that Washburn county is the best place that he ever found where a
man could make a good living and save something for a rainy day, and
from appearances Mr. Calvert has done well in the way of saving, as his
farm is among the best of the county, as everything abut it will
indicate to the close observer.
The genial proprietor of the White Elephant saloon, is an old landmark,
having located in Spooner in the early eighties and for a number of
years was in the employ of the railroad as conductor. In 1890 he
severed his connection with the company. Mr. Sidders was the
second chairman of the town of Spooner, which position he held for two
years, and was chairman of the county board in 1892. The fall of
1894 Mr. Sidders purchased the interest of F. R. Seymour in the White
Elephant saloon and he has successfully conducted the same since that
time. You will always find a refreshing draught of beer on tap
and a free lunch served at "Sidds," the name he is known by all along
Is our city bakeryman and is a master of his art. Mr. Seibert is
an Austrian by birth, but has been in America for the past twelve
years, learning the ways of Yankee land, and has proven an apt scholar.
He is a backer by trade and has plied his art in all of the
principal cities from New York to San Francisco and has finally settled
at Spooner as the Mecca of his journeyings and is doing a good business
in his chosen craft. In addition to a well kept baker, he carries
a good line of fruits, confectionery and cigars and serves lunches on
H. J. BIELOH
Mr. Bieloh is a German by birth, but has been a citizen of the united
States and of Wisconsin for many years. His early life was spent
in Milwaukee and vicinity, but in 1888 he migrated to the north part of
the state and located at West Superior, where he was employed for
several years in the capacity of engineer at the steel plant.
Later he was in the employ of the Omaha Railway company and had
charge of their electric lighting plant at Itasca. he came to
Spooner in 1901 and immediately identified himself with the progress of
the town by purchasing valuable property and erecting thereon a
building which is a credit to the village. At present Mr. Bieloh
is engaged in the retail liquor business and is making it a success.
Mr. Sinclair is one of the oldest conductors on this branch of the
Omaha system and has lived in Spooner fourteen years, so he is entitled
to be called an old settler in this new country. He was formerly
in the employ of the Chicago & North-Western railroad at Baraboo,
Wis., and came here from there. he owns one of the finest homes
in the village and is a useful and honorable citizen.
CHARLES H. EDWARDS
Boots, shoes, harness and everything in manufactured leather, paints,
oils and wall paper are found at the store of C. H. Edwards.
Although comparatively a new man in business, he has developed a
trade that is second to none in his line. This of itself speaks
volumes for his industry and perseverance. Commencing business
with a very limited capital, he now carries a complete stock in his own
building, which he erected the past summer, and is one of the finest
business locations in the village. Those who trade with Mr.
Edwards are sure of getting just what they call for and at the right
JUSTICE W. TOMPKINS
A write-up of Spooner would not be complete without a mention of the
soldier, patriot and all-around good fellow, Justice W. Tompkins.
Every one calls him "Jud," and it would hurt his pride if his
acquaintances should address him in a more formal manner. He is a
veteran of the civil war, having enlisted in 1861 from Iowa City, Iowa
and served his country for four years. Mr. Tompkins came to
Washburn county in 1888 and his time has been occupied in farming and
logging, and he has also served the public several years as village
marshal, constable and deputy sheriff and at the present time is jailer
under Sheriff Tozer. he had always taken a prominent part in
Grand Army circles and is now commander of the local G. A. R. post.
Ira Holmes is one of Washburn county's most enterprising farmers.
His farm is located some five miles east of the village of
Spooner and Mr. Holmes is making himself and family a fine home and one
that they are all proud of. Mr. Holmes has held many offices of
trust since living here and is at the present time chairman of the town
board and a member of the county board as well. There is in Mr.
Holmes' farm some 475 acres, of which there is at this time about 160
acres under cultivation. The improvements have all been made by
him and in a very short time as it has only been the past few years
that he has devoted all of his time to farming, he formerly having been
interested in lumbering.
Who is the owner of the saloon and billiard room at the corner of
Walnut and River street, came to Spooner about fifteen years ago,
located on a fine homestead out about fifteen miles northwest of
Spooner and made himself a fine home. About five years ago Mr.
Brisben came to Spooner and purchased the business place which he now
occupies from John Paffel, since which time he has run an up-to-date
and successful business. Mr. Brisben is the owner of valuable
village property as well as a holder of large land interests in Burnett
county, and is a respected citizen of Spooner.
John Paffel has been a resident of Spooner since 1884. He
first came here and was in the employ of the railroad company,
starting in as car repairer and shortly going on the road in the
capacity of brakeman, which position he held until 1892, when he had
the misfortune to lose one of his legs. After this he purchased a
business location in the village and opened up a saloon, which he ran
successfully until three years ago, when he sold this out, together
with the property, and with the proceeds he purchased a fine piece of
land one and a half miles south of the village and began to open up a
farm. Mr. Paffel is a German by birth, so it will be unnecessary
to say anything about how he is progressing, as, with the usual German
energy and push, he has one of the finest of farms. Mr. Paffel is
the present town treasurer of the town of Spooner, which shows that the
people of the community hold him in high respect and have confidence in
him, which is not misplaced.
E. W. BUNKER
E. W. Bunker is also one of Washburn county's successful farmers and
his is a fine farm, too. It is located about one and a half miles
south of the village on the Shell Lake and Spooner road. Mr.
Bunker has been a resident of Washburn county for the past four years
and has made very substantial improvements on his farm, which he began
to open about two years ago, and we predict that in a few years this
farm will be second to none in the county. Mr. Bunker is a member
of the town board and he is always looking for the interests of the
town and general public. He is very public spirited and a liberal
contributor for all public enterprises.
Is our leading blacksmith. He came to Spooner in 1885 and was in
the employ of the railroad company for a number of years as roundhouse
blacksmith and when the company changed their shop to Itasca Mr. Hart
opened up a shop of his own and has conducted the same ever since.
Mr. Hart also owns a fine piece of land just south of town, where
he resides and has it well under cultivation.
MRS. PETER LANDGREN
Mrs. Landgren conducts what is called a home boarding-house at her home
at the corner of Walnut and River streets, one of the most valuable
corners in the village. She is one of the earliest settlers,
having come to Spooner with her husband, who was employed on the
construction of the railroad. The wayfarer can always be sure of
home comforts for a reasonable outlay and feel assured that he will not
have to pay for more than he gets.
Is the proprietor of the Fountain sample and pool rooms, which are
located at the corner of Front and Elm streets, where he has a very
neat and attractive place of business and is always ready to wait on
his numerous customers. Mr. Graham has been in Spooner most of
the time for the past eight years and is now permanently located.
ELVER & HAUSMAN, STOCK FARMERS
These two gentlemen are residents of Madison, Wis., but, some four
years ago, Mr. Chas. Elver was induced by Geo. W. Harmon to come up
into Washburn county and look the country over with a view of
purchasing some land. As soon as Mr. Elver saw the conditions of
the land and character of the soil he at once purchased a section of
land and has continually been picking up lands and finally
interested Mr. Karl Hausmann [sic], also of Madison, who purchased a
large tract and together these two gentlemen now own one of the
choicest pieces of land and it is the best located and adapted to stock
raising of anything in the northern part of the state. They will
begin active operations in opening up a large farm the coming spring.
In fact, everything is now under way and they expect to have not
have not less than 200 acres under cultivation the first year and will
open up from 200 to 400 acres each year until they have at least 1,500
acres under cultivation. They will make this a stock farm pure
and simple and will have the finest stock that can be had. This
farm is located on what is known as the Big Island on Long lake,
Washburn county, and contains over 3,600 acres of land, all of which
Every one who is true to American ideas of citizenship is intense in
his desire for good schools. In choosing a home every thoughtful
man is careful to inquire concerning educational advantages for his
children. The people of Spooner have shown themselves to be
prompt and progressive in everything pertaining to education.
They can look back with great satisfaction upon the history of
their schools and can prophesy still better things for the future.
In the early history of our village our first schoolhouse consisted of
a board shanty, 14 by 16 feet in size. This was the beginning and
was used for one year. It was found that we must have something
better and the school board which consisted of Frank Jackle, Sr.,
William Busch and Andrew Ryan, in 1886, went to work with a will and
they soon had plans under way whereby the Omaha Railroad company
donated a half block for school grounds and within a short time a
commodious two-story building was erected, which, at the time, was very
much laughed at by a great many people on account of its large size,
they saying that Spooner would never see the day that there would be
use for more than one room. But the school board, foreseeing from
the first that this capacity would be outgrown, the building was
planned so as to facilitate the building of an addition and, in 1892,
it was found that to keep pace with the development and growth of the
village it would be necessary to double the former capacity. This
was done by adding the east end of the present building, leaving the
well-proportioned structure which is now in use. Since this
addition was built many necessary and beneficial improvements have been
added. Among these is a splendid steam-heating plant, hardwood
floors and slate blackboards.
As each year passes more needs become evident. At the beginning
of the present school year, the regular first-year work of the
four-year high school course was added to the curriculum and if the
present plans of the board of education are carried out one year of
high school work will be added each year until a free high school has
been established. From present indications, a high school
building will become an absolute necessity within three years, and many
are looking forward with great anticipation for the completion of this
important step of our future development.
R. N. CUNNINGHAM
While we are speaking of livery men and before we drop the subject, let
it be said that Robert N. Cunningham is in the livery business and is
the owner of the largest stable in town with the best equipped
outfit in the county, well informed int he wants of patrons and can
drive you to any point to which you may wish to go in northern
Wisconsin. Mr. Cunningham has been a resident of Spooner for the
past ten years, the most of this time having been spent in the livery
business, therefore, he is sure to be in a position to wait upon the
public in proper shape.
L. J. ALLEN
Mr. Allen is a farmer, and a good one, from what one can see of his
work since coming to Spooner. It is only a little over a year
since he purchased the land he now lives on, which is only one mile
north of town, and to say that he is making a fine showing would be
putting it mild. Mr. Allen came from Iowa, therefore is a prairie
farmer, but one would think to see what he has done in the way of
clearing land that he was an old-time timber-land farmer, one who had
seen the hardships of the pioneer. He has a fine, large, frame
house and good barns and sheds, and has at least sixty acres under fine
cultivation equal to prairie land. Considering that he only moved
onto this land in March, 1902, it is remarkable and shows that we have
in Mr. Allen a good man and one that the county may well be proud of.
He says that Washburn county is all right and can raise as good
corn as Iowa can, if properly taken care of, and as to other produce we
are in the lead by a long way.
Is the proprietor of The Hub saloon. Mr. Sullivan located in
Spooner some twelve years ago and has been in the saloon business ever
since. He is a jovial and entertaining host, well up in the
profession, keeping good stock and sells the Gettleman's beer, as well
as Hamm's. It is understood that Mr. Sullivan will erect a fine,
brick building on his lot on Walnut street this coming summer. It
will have a basement the full size of the building, which will be 35
feet wide and 80 feet long, two stories. This will be more
centrally located on the best business street of the town and a
substantial addition to the business houses of Spooner.
BREEN & FOREN
Are the genial proprietors of the Metropolitan saloon, which is located
at the corner of Front and Walnut streets. Charley Breen is a Spooner
boy, his father coming here and erecting the first frame building put
up in Spooner in 1881. Allie is the younger brother and takes an
active interest in the business. The two boys grew to manhood in
Spooner, received a good education in the Spooner schools and finished
their education in the schools of Ashland. Mr. Ben Foren is a
well-known Stillwater boy and is too well known to to need very much
said about him. He is a man of sterling qualities, having been,
until about a year ago, when he came to Spooner to locate permanently,
extensively interested in the lumber business, being an experienced
timber estimator and scaler and having the confidence at all of his
It may be said, is the pioneer saloon many of the town, having come
here from Barronett in 1894 and opened up in the business. Having
had years of experience in the same line, he is qualified to serve his
patrons in first-class shape. Any one calling on John will
receive fair treatment and find him a good all-around fellow with his
heart in the right place, as all good citizens should be, for the
welfare of the town.
MR. HENRY HOEPPNER
Came to Spooner in the fall of 1886, since which time he has gained the
confidence and respect of all who know him. He first started in
the hotel business, which he has run almost continuously since.
In 1896 he put in the first exclusive shoe stock in the town.
In 1900 he added groceries, flour and feed, and in the spring of
1902, a good line of dry goods was added and at this time he has a fine
line of everything found in a country store and doing a good, safe
business. Mr. Hoeppner purchased a fine piece of land in the fall
of 1897, and has given the most of his attention to the opening up of a
farm, leaving the store business to the care of his daughters, and if
you wish to see what can be done on a Washburn county farm it one has
the energy to work that Mr. Hoeppner has all you need to do is to go
for a short walk of a half mile and you will see as good a farm as
there is in Washburn county for the time it has been under way.
Mr. Hoeppner is a progressive and public-spirited citizen and
will always be found on the right side when it comes to anything for
the good of Spooner and her people.
W. J. WHISTLER
Is the owner of the local telephone line and is a gentleman who has had
a good deal of experience in that line of business and came her about
two years ago from Baraboo, Wis. He was formerly in the real
estate business in Chicago. Although having been here only a
short time, he has been found to be a man of good business qualities
and one who will not be detrimental to the advancement of Spooner.
ALBERT H. PORTER
Mr. Porter came to Spooner first in ____ and purchased a tract of 300
acres of land on the shores of Spooner lake, ___ three miles east of
the village, and __ at once started in to make an ideal ___ farm.
Here he has Mr. Mitchell ___, and has charge of the farm , and is
making good, substantial improvements. Mr. Porter has a fine
summer cottage on the lake shore, where himself and family spend most
of the summer. Mr. Porter at the present time resides at Lake
Mills, Wis. and we hope and expect that he will soon be a permanent
fixture with us although he could not take any more interest in the
development of our county than he does at the present time. Mr.
Porter has been instrumental in getting a good many settlers to come to
Washburn county and a good many ___ to come here and spend the summers,
and we think if he should reside here there would be more of ___ come,
which would be an advantage to all.
[ ___ indicates unreadable print]
CHARLES S. NELSON
Is our pioneer liveryman, having come here in 1888, and has been in the
livery business every [sic] since, he can well be called the pioneer.
Mr. Nelson is well acquainted with all of the surrounding country
for miles and always has the best of rigs. He is an old soldier
and can be relied upon at all times. When in need of a team call
Charley up over the phone and you will get prompt attention.
The popular proprietor of the European restaurant will be found on
Front street and always ready to give you a good meal at the moderate
price of 25 cents. He is one of Spooner's boys, his parents
having located here in 1884, since that time he has lived here, working
in the employ of the railroad company for a number of years and
recently opening up in the restaurant which he so ably manages.
R. F. PECK
Mr. Peck is an old residenter of northern Wisconsin, having come here
many years ago with his parents, and for the most of his life followed
lumbering, until eight years ago, when he settled on a piece of land
northeast of Spooner about two and a half miles, where he began opening
up a fine farm. Located as it is, on the bank of Spooner lake, it
is an ideal place for the making of a fine home and Mr. Peck is the one
who knows well how to make home attractive.
W. J. THOMPSON
Hustlers are always at a premium and in this class none outranks W. J.
Thompson. Having his home at Black River Falls, Wis., where he
was formerly in business, he can hardly be called a resident here,
although he has been here for most of the time the past five or six
years. He was first attracted here by the inducements this place
offered as a blueberry market, in which business he is very successful.
He owns a large warehouse where he manufactures great quantities
of all kinds of berry crates and boxes. This warehouse is also
used for the storage of farm machinery and farm products and he buys
and sells everything the markets offer or demands from a rabbit's track
to a rubber plantation. Mr. Thompson is one of the most
progressive and philanthropic of men and does not wait for the second
invitation to join in any public move for advancement, even through it
drains his pocketbook.
J. D. TYNAN
Well, we do not want to forget that Spooner had a cigar manufactory,
and one that is hard to beat anywhere. It is owned and managed by
J. D. Tynan, the inventor of the patent Seal Skin cigar, which he
manufactures. This is a patented hygienic cigar, a clean smoker
and a fascinating novelty. He challenges the tobacco world to
dispute any part of these claims. The above cut represents Mr.
Tynan showing the easy way of removing the outer wrapper, which is
branded as Seal Skin. Ask your dealers for the and be convinced
that they are the only thing in the line of a cigar. Jerry is one
of Spooner's oldest residents, always for anything for the best
interests of Spooner.
MRS. MARIA JACKLE
Mrs. Jackle came to Spooner with her husband, Frank X. Jackle, and two
sons, Frank and Hawley, in 18_4, from Eau Claire, Wis. Mr. Jackle
and his sons were int he employ of the railroad company for more than
ten years in different capacities. In January, 1898, Mr. Jackle
died. Mrs. Jackle and her sons are still residents of Spooner and
she owns one of the finest as well as one of the most centrally located
homes in the village.
J. T. HAZARD
Mr. Hazard is our popular principal in the schools of Spooner.
Although he has been with us only a short time, he is held in
high respect by all and is making a grand success of school work.
he came to us from Spring green, Wis., where he was employed int
he high school as first assistant for three years and since coming here
has been offered the principalship of that school, but declined.
Mr. Hazard, since coming here has purchased for himself a fine
home and also has invested in some valuable farm lands in the vicinity
of Spooner which in the near future will make him a good bank account.
The partnership consisting of A. E. And W. A. Banister, and known as
Banister Brothers, is one of the leading grocery stores in Spooner.
It is comparatively a new firm, starting in business in 1891, but
has managed, by fair dealing and industry, to work up to a good
business in their line. They own their store building, which is
located on the corner of Front and Oak streets and is one of the best
corners int he village. They are thoroughly reliable and honest
and you will get fair treatment when you deal with them.
Is the proprietor of the Stillwater saloon, which he has managed
successfully for Mrs. F. G. Sprague for the past three years.
Pete is a good, whole-souled fellow and any one having occasion
to spend a few leisure hours will do well to call on him as he is a
good entertainer, a fine musician and is always ready to render choice
music for his patrons. You will have no trouble in finding his
place. It is located on Walnut street just across from the
Among the recent ventures in the mercantile line is that of Jacob
Weiss, and known as "The New Store." Mr. Weiss came here early in
the fall of 1902 from northern Michigan, where he had been in trade for
a number of years. He carries a complete line of dry goods,
clothing, furnishings and shoes. In the very limited time that he
has been here he has gained an immense trade, which could only have
been accomplished by honorable dealings, correct prices and honest
ALLISON M. BUXTON
Mr. Buxton is an ex-railroad man who has been a resident of Spooner
many years. He served the Omaha in different capacities prior to
1894. After that he worked some time for the Great Northern road
and was so unfortunate as to lose his right arm while in the employ of
that company. Mr. Buxton is a great fancier of fast horses and
owns one of the best breeding horses in the northwest and also owns and
occupies one of the finest homes in the village.
There are many other good citizens of Spooner who are deserving of
mention herein, but, owning to lack of space, we will at this time not
say more than we have and in the near future we expect to again take up
Spooner's advancement and the development of the surrounding country.
No claim is made to the copyrights of the individual submitters. Data
within this website may be used for personal use only by
individuals researching their ancestry. Commercial use of this
information for profit is strictly prohibited without prior permission
of the owners. Other genealogical websites may link to this website;
however, permission is not granted to duplicate any of the contents.
Anyone contributing material for posting does so in recognition of its
free, non-commercial distribution, as well as the responsibility to
assure that no copyright is violated by the submission. This
website and its coordinator are not responsible for donations of
copyrighted material where explicit written permission has not been
granted for use.